IMQ slows computer to a crawl

I am attempting to implement IMQ on a 2.4.31 version kernel with
iptables 1.3.3.

I am following the example at http://www.linuximq.net/usage.html.  When
I enter the line
iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o eth1 -j IMQ --todev1

(eth1 is the external interface), the computer slows to a crawl.  OK,
the CPU is only an AMD K6 233 which is not the world's greatest CPU, but
egress shaping is done at acceptable speed.

Neither top nor free is any help.  top says the system is using 35% and
user about 1%, with load averages in the range of 0.2x, 0.2x and 0.1x
and top itself is at the top of the list.  free says 3388 free mem and
780 used swap.

Even attaching to a non connected device (change eth1 to eth2 in the
above iptables line) creates this condition!??

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might cause this huge
slowdown?  How do I troubleshoot this?  I'll have to reimplement
policing if I can't make IMQ work.

Thanks for any assistance.
--
gypsy