Re: qdisc's useless in my case?

André Matuschek wrote:

Now what I worry about ist if this has any effect at all. Maybe the kernel sends
all the Packets from the LAN (from eth0) to the to cable-modems, which are
connected via 100Mbit crossover-cable and the modem queues the packets itself and drops the ones exceeding the maximum upload rate. With an constant empty queue in the kernel it would make no differences if fifo_fast or sfq is the qdisc, right?

So my question is: Am I right? Is it useless to assign sfq to eth1 & eth2? What would
be an alternative solution?

Yes you are right. You need to use htb/hfsc/cbq on both eths and limit the traffic headed for the internet to < each cable rate. You could use sfq as part of the setup, it is better to try and seperate interactive traffic from bulk and only use sfq on the bulk. You could also limit inbound traffic by shaping on the lan facing eth (if it goes to both lan eths then it's more complicated but possible).

Andy.