Shaping traffic bound for the NAT'ed networks whithout imq

I'm trying to set up a shaper that can shape the inbound traffic to around
40 subnets, that hang on 3 different interfaces of the router.

As Linux can't do ingress shaping I'm left with having to set up 3
seperate shapers, one for each internal interface.

This is not completely optimal as I'll have to limit each of the 3
interfaces to 1/3 of the total downstream bandwidth of the ADSL, leaving
users unhappy with performance and if a user happens to be on the same
segment as a leecher then he gets hit, but not everyone else.

I've thought about using IMQ, but it's not available in the standard
kernel, and I'd really hate to have to reboot the router as it's
inaccessible and any  breakdown would piss off the users.

I have two questions:
1) I compiled IMQ as a module and inserted it, but I couldn't "ifconfig
imq0 up" or anything else with it, any idea what I might be doing wrong?

2) Is there any alternative to using IMQ to get all the inbound traffic
shaped at once?

--
Flemming Frandsen, NrVissing.Net administrator.