RE: Re[2]: Fwd: Several IP's, one mail and http server

>> IMHO it is not true. Novadays, it is required for a mail server to have a valid
>> reverse dns record. But it doesn't have to point back to the same name. It would
>> lead to very very poor IP space usage - eg. virtual hosting provider, which has
>> 300 domains would need 300 IP's even if all of them are hosted on 1 machine,
>> and number of domains can MUCH higher than all of the IPs.

I wish!  I've run across places that seem to check that the reverse DNS matches the forward DNS name.  I've seen it with Comcast and I gotta believe there are others doing it.  It is a pain for me because I have to consume a precious IP Address for each email domain I host here.  It may be possible that the big hosters know about each other and make special arrangements with each other to which little ol' me is not privvy.  If anyone out there has any connections with the Comcast DNS people, I'd love to talk to you about this and other issues - but we're straying off the original topic.

- Greg