Re: class exceeds its ceil

Jody Shumaker wrote:

Andreas Klauer wrote:

Uh... huh? Your P2P class has 100kbit rate with a 5600kbit ceil, but you say you don't want it to borrow bandwidth from other classes. However, to go over the 100kbit rate, it _has_ to borrow.

Oh yes, my mistake - I've confused ceil with rate. Anyway, the thing I wanted to achieve was to allow p2p class to use even 5600kbit of my bandwidth, but without guarantees like rate. So guarantee a minimum bandwidth to a class - about 100kbit, but allow it to reach 5600kbit or more e.g. when there's no other trafic present. (Now I know I did it wrong)

So, if you don't want it to borrow like you said, the solution would be to set the ceil of the P2P class to 100kbit as well. The other
classes will still be able to borrow from it if the P2P class is not
using it's bandwidth.
Are you sure? In my previous post I was refering to this example http://mailman.ds9a.nl/pipermail/lartc/2002q2/003958.html
which says this class won't be able to exchange any bandwidth at all.

Jody Shumaker wrote:
What are you basing this on? the P2P app or tc -s class show dev ---- ?

I simply block p2p traffic for some time and see that bandwidth usage (according to iptraf) falls down to ~20% of total link's "capacity" + classes that are supposed to send p2p traffic send nothing. (I also get feedback that indeed p2p apps aren't working) After allowing p2p through, bandwidth usage jumps to ~100% of the total available bandwidth.

Are you using thee CONNTRACK module? It's simple to block P2P without CONNTRACK but if you want to shape it, you need it. Otherwise you'll only be marking the first packets for p2p connections, and not the rest.

I am aware of that, but didn't you mean CONNMARK target (module)?