HTB filters' parent

Hi
I am the author of /etc/net project (http://etcnet.org/), which along
with other features provides QoS support. This support is done
through a hierarchical configuration tree for each interface, which
is translated into 'tc' command sequence. Filters are supported and
for each filter parent is determined automatically during translation:
it is the last qdisc seen in the tree.
Some time ago a /etc/net user pointed out that his HTB setup did not
work until he modified the code to install filters with root qdisc
as parent. I have found a short notice about that in LARTC HOW-TO:
http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.qdisc.filters.html
"Also, with HTB, you should attach all filters to the root!"
Can anyone provide a hint if this limitation is true (I did not research
it myself) and if it's true, what is the origin of this exception?

--
    DO4-UANIC