tc strange behaviour

hi all,

I'm trying to do the following:

tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 1: htb default 15
tc class add dev eth0 parent 1:0 classid 1:1 htb rate 1mbit
tc class add dev eth0 parent 1:1 classid 1:15 htb rate 512kbit ceil 1mbit

what I expect:
limit outgoing traffic to 1mbit, start rate is 512kbit and let it grow
up to 1mbit
(correct me if i'm wrong here)

so, here is the problem
on different computers I have different behaviour (same kernel configuration)
tried on xeon, p3 and pentium-m (notebook), only on p3 it works as expected.
the only value has effect (on xeon, pentium-m) is the rate in classid
1:15, for example, when I put 128kbit, speed grows up to 1mbit

I tried to test this using lo interface - same problem.

-is there any hardware requirements for tc?
-how to debug such things? (where should I look)

thanks

--alex