Re: UDP multicast stream and NAT

Gabriel wrote:
Hi, my ISP is streaming some local concert using UDP
multicasting. I followed the instructions on the site which
described how to set VLC in order to view the stream, but
it didn't work. I am behind a Linux router/firewall doing
NAT. Using google, I quickly found out that the
netfilter/conntrack code doesn't support NATing multicast
traffic. I thought about bridging the internet facing
interface (eth0) and (one of) the internal interfaces (the
one my computer is plugged into). This way I could set my
IP to be public and no routing/NAT would be done on the
Linux box. The only problem is that the box has 2 more NICs
in it and there are other people connected to those NICs
that need to use that connection (hence need to be NATed).

Then I tried thinking about a DMZ-like solution where my
box would be in the DMZ, but I can't see that working
either because I only have one public IP assigned.

Can anyone think of any other way for me to be able to view
the stream?

Thanks.

I also don't think the bridging will work.

AIUI stateless NAT using ip doesn't work with 2.6 kernels so thinking about iptables only.

Maybe you could get something working with the raw table, you can bypass conntrack with that but then I am not sure if you could dnat it ...

There is another iptables target ROUTE maybe you could use that. If the LAN PC is running Linux then you could setup a vlan/tunnel/something and ROUTE it down there.

I would also ask this on the netfilter users list.

Andy.