Re: Which option is better

On Friday 02 December 2005 21:16, DervishD wrote:
>     I find the above a bit overkill, since LAN and ADSL classes won't
> NEVER borrow nor lend bandwidth to one another.

They won't do that because the classes got the same rate/ceil. So there is
no need to borrow/lend ever. HTB is used for bandwidth limiting only here,
probably except for "(some children classes)", whatever they are.

I'm doing it practically the same way, except I don't like setups with more
than one root class, so I actually got a fat root class with the device
speed as rate above those two. In my personal opinion, having two root
classes in HTB implies that these two are completely independent, which is
not the case since they have to share the same interface after all.

And I think it's not overkill at all, since this is the only way to ensure
that LAN traffic (file transfers and such) leave a bandwidth window open
for the more fragile internet traffic.

>     HTB: quantum of class 10001 is big. Consider r2q change.
>
>     Of course it is big!, it's my LAN class, limited to 90Mbit/s...

You can get rid of this message by specifying the quantum for this
class directly.

>     Is there any better alternative to the above, given the great
> difference in rates and the fact that I won't NEVER share bandwidth
> between 1:1 and 1:2?

I don't have any problems at all with this solution, so I never bothered
looking for something better. In fact, I think it's a very good solution,
and if you're shaping using nothing but HTB, it's probably even the best
solution you can get.

Regards,
Andreas Klauer