Re: Wireless links + Realtime video >= Headache! (long queue delays)

Hi,

Justin Todd schrieb:
Realtime H.263 Video (UDP) flows from the encoder to the DVR at
500kbit/sec peak. (avg is about 275-300). There is also a bit of
sporatic 2-way TCP communication.

***Problem: When bit errors on the wireless link occur, video will
get jerky and get behind (sometimes as much as 20 seconds!) and then
suddenly the video will appear to go in fast foward and catch up
again! This is clearly unacceptable for realtime video! We would
rather lose the occassional packet then have it get behind.

QUESTIONS:

1) will doing SNAT twice on a UDP video stream cause considerable or
negligable delay?

Should not be measurable unless the Linux machines are totally overloaded. For a reasonably fast machine, 100 MBit/s wirespeed SNAT is possible, so you should be fine.

2) Is there a way to tell the kernel to drop a packet if its not
delievered within an acceptable period of time?

You could try to tune the TX timeout, but I have no idea whether there is a sysctl for that.

3) How can you optimize your TCP stack for realtime video?

TCP stack? I thought you were doing video over UDP. Sending video over TCP would indeed explain your problems.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel
--
http://www.hailfinger.org/