Re: HTB classid problem

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 16:22:17 -0800 (PST)
weihua zhang <zfireboy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey, everyone, I am kindda newbie to this subject, so I just post my problem directly, please let me know if anything is wrong.
>
>   in my config file
>   when I use
>   tc class add dev eth1 parent 1:11 classid 1:11016 htb rate 512kbit burst 10k
>
>   everything works correctly
>
>   but...when classid goes larger than 1:19999, eg:
>   tc class add dev eth1 parent 1:21 classid 1:21006 htb rate 256kbit burst 10k
>   it thows out "RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument"
>
>   I am using Fedora core 3 and what I am trying to do here is regulating each mac's
>   packets attached under access point. so basiclly parent 1:21 stands for an access point, and 1:21xxx stands for one device id attached to it. originally we had no more
>   than 50 macs per AP, eg:  1:2101 for upload, 1:2102 for download per mac address.
>   so 1:21xx can cover 50 macs.
>
>   now when I want to add more than 50 macs under one AP, the classid pattern needs to be updated. it's very strange to me that when I updated all classid to cover 500 macs per AP,  eg: 1:21xxx, it throws out invalid argument error, but it works fine when classid was below 1:19999.
>
>   hope I stated this problem clearly.
>   thanks ahead for the help.

Some non-obvious things about classid's.
* Tc parses classid's in hex (base 16) by default.
* Classid's are usually split into a major and minor part by the colon(:)
* The maximum value (hard coded into the the packet scheduler API) is 16 bits for each; ie.
  16 bits for minor number.

Why not just use some shell functions to encode the access point to class id mapping
more densely?