Re: Using TBF to throttle a PC to 5kbps

Lee Sanders wrote:
Hi Everyone,

This is a simple question but I don't understand why the below tbf is not working as expected by throttling traffic to 5kbps

If I throttle a PC's traffic using the below when traffic exceeds 5kbps packets start getting dropped (as they should) but all traffic gets dropped. not just the bit over 5kbps.

TC="tc add dev ppp0"
$TC parent 8001:2 handle 2: tbf rate 5kbps latency 50ms burst 1540

I can see the "dropped" counter increasing, the overlimits counter stays the same and there is a "backlog" counter with 21p

That's strange - this is a count of the packets queued, but why 21 - the settings you use make for a very small buffer 5kbps and 50ms is < 1 bulk packet.

do a tc -s -d qdisc ls dev ppp0 and you may see tbf has optimised it to even less.

Try with 500ms latency.

Andy.