mpath2.sh script works - sort of

Greetings all,

	While I haven't given up on getting a dead gateway detection script a la
nano.txt to work on my T1/DSL router box, I have taken a break and played with
the mpath2.sh script that Robert Kurjata wrote back in 2001.
	This shows more promise in that I can actually get it to work - is it
foolish to try and use this script for this purpose? Here's my setup:
	My router is a Debian box with a custom 2.4.31 kernel with Julian's
routes-2.4.29-9.diff patch applied. It has three network cards in it:

ppp0	DSL
eth1	on the network with the T1 at the gateway
eth2 	local non-routable subnet

	The mpath2.sh script, when executed manually after boot, gets things
going, but pointed to my secondary connection - in this case, the T1.
	If I execute mpath2.sh and then restart the network connections with

/etc/init.d/networking restart

	then the primary gateway (on the DSL) comes right up as it should. If I
unplug the DSL modem, the script changes the default route to the T1 perfectly.
	QUESTIONS:

		Is the mpath2.sh a dependable way to proceed?

		What might I be doing wrong that causes the mpath2.sh script to
route stuff in the wrong order until I restart the network connections?

	I'd be MOST grateful for any tips anyone can find the time to share!

Brett Charbeneau
Network Administrator
Williamsburg Regional Library
7770 Croaker Road