RE: Differentiating between http downloads and interactivetraffic

Hi,

I've read your recomendation:

(http://www.netfilter.org/projects/patch-o-matic/pom-extra.html#pom-extra-co
nnrate

in order to differentiate between an established http download
and interactive http traffic.

In that patch suggest something  like that:

iptables .. -m tos --tos Minimize-Delay \
            -m connrate --connrate 20000:inf \
            -j TOS --set-tos Maximize-Throughput

 => match packets in minimize-delay TOS connections that are transferring
    faster than 20kbps and change their tos to maximize-throughput instead.

Is very intresting!

Somebody has really tryed this patch ?

best regards

andres

->
->
-> I would recommend looking at the connrate
-> (http://www.netfilter.org/projects/patch-o-matic/pom-extra.html#p
-> om-extra-connrate) Patch-O-Matic patch.  Your interactive
-> sessions could be long lived and thus pass the connlimit and /
-> or connbytes matches and thus be falsely classified.  Where as
-> if you test for your interactive sessions by looking for an over
-> all average low rate, burst delay burst delay etc, you should
-> have a low average and thus be able to match based on rate to
-> classify them higher.
->
->
->
-> Grant. . . .
->
-> Paul J. Smith wrote:
-> > Hi,
-> >
-> > I’ve been wondering if anyone has thought of a way to differentiate
-> > between an established http download and interactive http traffic?  I
-> > would like to give interactive http traffic priority over someone
-> > downloading large files.
-> >
-> > Has anyone any ideas how to detect packets that are part of a download
-> > like this?
-> >
-> > Thanks.
->