ADSL-Bandwidth-Management-HOWTO

Hi,

I've read ADSL-Bandwidth-Management-HOWTO
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/ADSL-Bandwidth-Management-HOWTO/implementation.htm
l#AEN166

and I've a doubt from script:

[ ... ]

# DNS name resolution (small packets)

iptables -t mangle -A MYSHAPER-OUT -p udp -j MARK --set-mark 21

[ ... ]

That is a bug ?

I think that  "  DNS name resolution (small packets) "  is better match
with:

# DNS name resolution (small packets)

iptables -t mangle -A MYSHAPER-OUT -p udp --dport 53 -j MARK --set-mark 21
iptables -t mangle -A MYSHAPER-OUT -p tcp --dport 53 -j MARK --set-mark 21

ORIGINAL AND COMPLETE SCRIPT IS HERE:

#!/bin/bash
#
# myshaper - DSL/Cable modem outbound traffic shaper and prioritizer.
#            Based on the ADSL/Cable wondershaper (www.lartc.org)
#
# Written by Dan Singletary (8/7/02)
#
# NOTE!! - This script assumes your kernel has been patched with the
#          appropriate HTB queue and IMQ patches available here:
#          (subnote: future kernels may not require patching)
#
#       http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/qos/htb/
#       http://luxik.cdi.cz/~patrick/imq/
#
# Configuration options for myshaper:
#  DEV    - set to ethX that connects to DSL/Cable Modem
#  RATEUP - set this to slightly lower than your
#           outbound bandwidth on the DSL/Cable Modem.
#           I have a 1500/128 DSL line and setting
#           RATEUP=90 works well for my 128kbps upstream.
#           However, your mileage may vary.
#  RATEDN - set this to slightly lower than your
#           inbound bandwidth on the DSL/Cable Modem.
#
#
#  Theory on using imq to "shape" inbound traffic:
#
#     It's impossible to directly limit the rate of data that will
#  be sent to you by other hosts on the internet.  In order to shape
#  the inbound traffic rate, we have to rely on the congestion avoidance
#  algorithms in TCP.  Because of this, WE CAN ONLY ATTEMPT TO SHAPE
#  INBOUND TRAFFIC ON TCP CONNECTIONS.  This means that any traffic that
#  is not tcp should be placed in the high-prio class, since dropping
#  a non-tcp packet will most likely result in a retransmit which will
#  do nothing but unnecessarily consume bandwidth.
#     We attempt to shape inbound TCP traffic by dropping tcp packets
#  when they overflow the HTB queue which will only pass them on at
#  a certain rate (RATEDN) which is slightly lower than the actual
#  capability of the inbound device.  By dropping TCP packets that
#  are over-rate, we are simulating the same packets getting dropped
#  due to a queue-overflow on our ISP's side.  The advantage of this
#  is that our ISP's queue will never fill because TCP will slow it's
#  transmission rate in response to the dropped packets in the assumption
#  that it has filled the ISP's queue, when in reality it has not.
#     The advantage of using a priority-based queuing discipline is
#  that we can specifically choose NOT to drop certain types of packets
#  that we place in the higher priority buckets (ssh, telnet, etc).  This
#  is because packets will always be dequeued from the lowest priority class
#  with the stipulation that packets will still be dequeued from every
#  class fairly at a minimum rate (in this script, each bucket will deliver
#  at least it's fair share of 1/7 of the bandwidth).
#
#  Reiterating main points:
#   * Dropping a tcp packet on a connection will lead to a slower rate
#     of reception for that connection due to the congestion avoidance
algorithm.
#   * We gain nothing from dropping non-TCP packets.  In fact, if they
#     were important they would probably be retransmitted anyways so we want
#     try to never drop these packets.  This means that saturated TCP
connections
#     will not negatively effect protocols that don't have a built-in
retransmit like TCP.
#   * Slowing down incoming TCP connections such that the total inbound rate
is less
#     than the true capability of the device (ADSL/Cable Modem) SHOULD
result in little
#     to no packets being queued on the ISP's side (DSLAM, cable
concentrator, etc).  Since
#     these ISP queues have been observed to queue 4 seconds of data at
1500Kbps or 6 megabits
#     of data, having no packets queued there will mean lower latency.
#
#  Caveats (questions posed before testing):
#   * Will limiting inbound traffic in this fashion result in poor bulk TCP
performance?
#     - Preliminary answer is no!  Seems that by prioritizing ACK packets
(small <64b)
#       we maximize throughput by not wasting bandwidth on retransmitted
packets
#       that we already have.
#

# NOTE: The following configuration works well for my
# setup: 1.5M/128K ADSL via Pacific Bell Internet (SBC Global Services)

DEV=eth0
RATEUP=90
RATEDN=700  # Note that this is significantly lower than the capacity of
1500.
            # Because of this, you may not want to bother limiting inbound
traffic
            # until a better implementation such as TCP window manipulation
can be used.

#
# End Configuration Options
#

if [ "$1" = "status" ]
then
        echo "[qdisc]"
        tc -s qdisc show dev $DEV
        tc -s qdisc show dev imq0
        echo "[class]"
        tc -s class show dev $DEV
        tc -s class show dev imq0
        echo "[filter]"
        tc -s filter show dev $DEV
        tc -s filter show dev imq0
        echo "[iptables]"
        iptables -t mangle -L MYSHAPER-OUT -v -x 2> /dev/null
        iptables -t mangle -L MYSHAPER-IN -v -x 2> /dev/null
        exit
fi

# Reset everything to a known state (cleared)
tc qdisc del dev $DEV root    2> /dev/null > /dev/null
tc qdisc del dev imq0 root 2> /dev/null > /dev/null
iptables -t mangle -D POSTROUTING -o $DEV -j MYSHAPER-OUT 2> /dev/null >
/dev/null
iptables -t mangle -F MYSHAPER-OUT 2> /dev/null > /dev/null
iptables -t mangle -X MYSHAPER-OUT 2> /dev/null > /dev/null
iptables -t mangle -D PREROUTING -i $DEV -j MYSHAPER-IN 2> /dev/null >
/dev/null
iptables -t mangle -F MYSHAPER-IN 2> /dev/null > /dev/null
iptables -t mangle -X MYSHAPER-IN 2> /dev/null > /dev/null
ip link set imq0 down 2> /dev/null > /dev/null
rmmod imq 2> /dev/null > /dev/null

if [ "$1" = "stop" ]
then
        echo "Shaping removed on $DEV."
        exit
fi

#
# Outbound Shaping (limits total bandwidth to RATEUP)

# set queue size to give latency of about 2 seconds on low-prio packets
ip link set dev $DEV qlen 30

# changes mtu on the outbound device.  Lowering the mtu will result
# in lower latency but will also cause slightly lower throughput due
# to IP and TCP protocol overhead.
ip link set dev $DEV mtu 1000

# add HTB root qdisc
tc qdisc add dev $DEV root handle 1: htb default 26

# add main rate limit classes
tc class add dev $DEV parent 1: classid 1:1 htb rate ${RATEUP}kbit

# add leaf classes - We grant each class at LEAST it's "fair share" of
bandwidth.
#                    this way no class will ever be starved by another
class.  Each
#                    class is also permitted to consume all of the available
bandwidth
#                    if no other classes are in use.
tc class add dev $DEV parent 1:1 classid 1:20 htb rate $[$RATEUP/7]kbit ceil
${RATEUP}kbit prio 0
tc class add dev $DEV parent 1:1 classid 1:21 htb rate $[$RATEUP/7]kbit ceil
${RATEUP}kbit prio 1
tc class add dev $DEV parent 1:1 classid 1:22 htb rate $[$RATEUP/7]kbit ceil
${RATEUP}kbit prio 2
tc class add dev $DEV parent 1:1 classid 1:23 htb rate $[$RATEUP/7]kbit ceil
${RATEUP}kbit prio 3
tc class add dev $DEV parent 1:1 classid 1:24 htb rate $[$RATEUP/7]kbit ceil
${RATEUP}kbit prio 4
tc class add dev $DEV parent 1:1 classid 1:25 htb rate $[$RATEUP/7]kbit ceil
${RATEUP}kbit prio 5
tc class add dev $DEV parent 1:1 classid 1:26 htb rate $[$RATEUP/7]kbit ceil
${RATEUP}kbit prio 6

# attach qdisc to leaf classes - here we at SFQ to each priority class.  SFQ
insures that
#                                within each class connections will be
treated (almost) fairly.
tc qdisc add dev $DEV parent 1:20 handle 20: sfq perturb 10
tc qdisc add dev $DEV parent 1:21 handle 21: sfq perturb 10
tc qdisc add dev $DEV parent 1:22 handle 22: sfq perturb 10
tc qdisc add dev $DEV parent 1:23 handle 23: sfq perturb 10
tc qdisc add dev $DEV parent 1:24 handle 24: sfq perturb 10
tc qdisc add dev $DEV parent 1:25 handle 25: sfq perturb 10
tc qdisc add dev $DEV parent 1:26 handle 26: sfq perturb 10

# filter traffic into classes by fwmark - here we direct traffic into
priority class according to
#                                         the fwmark set on the packet (we
set fwmark with iptables
#                                         later).  Note that above we've set
the default priority
#                                         class to 1:26 so unmarked packets
(or packets marked with
#                                         unfamiliar IDs) will be defaulted
to the lowest priority
#                                         class.
tc filter add dev $DEV parent 1:0 prio 0 protocol ip handle 20 fw flowid
1:20
tc filter add dev $DEV parent 1:0 prio 0 protocol ip handle 21 fw flowid
1:21
tc filter add dev $DEV parent 1:0 prio 0 protocol ip handle 22 fw flowid
1:22
tc filter add dev $DEV parent 1:0 prio 0 protocol ip handle 23 fw flowid
1:23
tc filter add dev $DEV parent 1:0 prio 0 protocol ip handle 24 fw flowid
1:24
tc filter add dev $DEV parent 1:0 prio 0 protocol ip handle 25 fw flowid
1:25
tc filter add dev $DEV parent 1:0 prio 0 protocol ip handle 26 fw flowid
1:26

# add MYSHAPER-OUT chain to the mangle table in iptables - this sets up the
table we'll use
#                                                      to filter and mark
packets.
iptables -t mangle -N MYSHAPER-OUT
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o $DEV -j MYSHAPER-OUT

# add fwmark entries to classify different types of traffic - Set fwmark
from 20-26 according to
#                                                             desired class.
20 is highest prio.
iptables -t mangle -A MYSHAPER-OUT -p tcp --sport 0:1024 -j MARK --set-mark
23 # Default for low port traffic
iptables -t mangle -A MYSHAPER-OUT -p tcp --dport 0:1024 -j MARK --set-mark
23 # ""
iptables -t mangle -A MYSHAPER-OUT -p tcp --dport 20 -j MARK --set-mark 26
# ftp-data port, low prio
iptables -t mangle -A MYSHAPER-OUT -p tcp --dport 5190 -j MARK --set-mark 23
# aol instant messenger
iptables -t mangle -A MYSHAPER-OUT -p icmp -j MARK --set-mark 20
# ICMP (ping) - high prio, impress friends
iptables -t mangle -A MYSHAPER-OUT -p udp -j MARK --set-mark 21
# DNS name resolution (small packets)
iptables -t mangle -A MYSHAPER-OUT -p tcp --dport ssh -j MARK --set-mark 22
# secure shell
iptables -t mangle -A MYSHAPER-OUT -p tcp --sport ssh -j MARK --set-mark 22
# secure shell
iptables -t mangle -A MYSHAPER-OUT -p tcp --dport telnet -j MARK --set-mark
22 # telnet (ew...)
iptables -t mangle -A MYSHAPER-OUT -p tcp --sport telnet -j MARK --set-mark
22 # telnet (ew...)
iptables -t mangle -A MYSHAPER-OUT -p ipv6-crypt -j MARK --set-mark 24
# IPSec - we don't know what the payload is though...
iptables -t mangle -A MYSHAPER-OUT -p tcp --sport http -j MARK --set-mark 25
# Local web server
iptables -t mangle -A MYSHAPER-OUT -p tcp -m length --length :64 -j
MARK --set-mark 21 # small packets (probably just ACKs)
iptables -t mangle -A MYSHAPER-OUT -m mark --mark 0 -j MARK --set-mark 26
# redundant- mark any unmarked packets as 26 (low prio)

# Done with outbound shaping
#

echo "Outbound shaping added to $DEV.  Rate: ${RATEUP}Kbit/sec."

# uncomment following line if you only want upstream shaping.
# exit

#
# Inbound Shaping (limits total bandwidth to RATEDN)

# make sure imq module is loaded

modprobe imq numdevs=1

ip link set imq0 up

# add qdisc - default low-prio class 1:21

tc qdisc add dev imq0 handle 1: root htb default 21

# add main rate limit classes
tc class add dev imq0 parent 1: classid 1:1 htb rate ${RATEDN}kbit

# add leaf classes - TCP traffic in 21, non TCP traffic in 20
#
tc class add dev imq0 parent 1:1 classid 1:20 htb rate $[$RATEDN/2]kbit ceil
${RATEDN}kbit prio 0
tc class add dev imq0 parent 1:1 classid 1:21 htb rate $[$RATEDN/2]kbit ceil
${RATEDN}kbit prio 1

# attach qdisc to leaf classes - here we at SFQ to each priority class.  SFQ
insures that
#                                within each class connections will be
treated (almost) fairly.
tc qdisc add dev imq0 parent 1:20 handle 20: sfq perturb 10
tc qdisc add dev imq0 parent 1:21 handle 21: red limit 1000000 min 5000 max
100000 avpkt 1000 burst 50

# filter traffic into classes by fwmark - here we direct traffic into
priority class according to
#                                         the fwmark set on the packet (we
set fwmark with iptables
#                                         later).  Note that above we've set
the default priority
#                                         class to 1:26 so unmarked packets
(or packets marked with
#                                         unfamiliar IDs) will be defaulted
to the lowest priority
#                                         class.
tc filter add dev imq0 parent 1:0 prio 0 protocol ip handle 20 fw flowid
1:20
tc filter add dev imq0 parent 1:0 prio 0 protocol ip handle 21 fw flowid
1:21

# add MYSHAPER-IN chain to the mangle table in iptables - this sets up the
table we'll use
#                                                         to filter and mark
packets.
iptables -t mangle -N MYSHAPER-IN
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -i $DEV -j MYSHAPER-IN

# add fwmark entries to classify different types of traffic - Set fwmark
from 20-26 according to
#                                                             desired class.
20 is highest prio.
iptables -t mangle -A MYSHAPER-IN -p ! tcp -j MARK --set-mark 20
# Set non-tcp packets to highest priority
iptables -t mangle -A MYSHAPER-IN -p tcp -m length --length :64 -j
MARK --set-mark 20 # short TCP packets are probably ACKs
iptables -t mangle -A MYSHAPER-IN -p tcp --dport ssh -j MARK --set-mark 20
# secure shell
iptables -t mangle -A MYSHAPER-IN -p tcp --sport ssh -j MARK --set-mark 20
# secure shell
iptables -t mangle -A MYSHAPER-IN -p tcp --dport telnet -j MARK --set-mark
20 # telnet (ew...)
iptables -t mangle -A MYSHAPER-IN -p tcp --sport telnet -j MARK --set-mark
20 # telnet (ew...)
iptables -t mangle -A MYSHAPER-IN -m mark --mark 0 -j MARK --set-mark 21
# redundant- mark any unmarked packets as 26 (low prio)

# finally, instruct these packets to go through the imq0 we set up above
iptables -t mangle -A MYSHAPER-IN -j IMQ

# Done with inbound shaping
#

echo "Inbound shaping added to $DEV.  Rate: ${RATEDN}Kbit/sec."

--
Andres Gregori
Linux Support Services

linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx