Re: shape downstream of a ppp link

On Thursday 13 October 2005 10:52, Joerg Sommer wrote:
> is it anyhow possible to tell the other end of the ppp link how he
> should queue the packages?

Only by making a phone call and threatening the ISP directly... ;-)

> I would like to give uucp a lower priority than http. Is this possible?
> Has ppp any special features to control such things?

It's possible, although there is not really a nice solution for it. I do
this kind of "prioritizing" by shaping packets that the router can send to
the machines in my LAN, which basically reduces to "drop anything that
comes in too fast", in your case "drop uucp packets if they come in too
fast". Not really nice since packets have to be re-sent, but for me this
is still better than letting one file transfer hog the whole line forever
when I need bandwidth for interactive sessions.

Regards,
Andreas Klauer