dynamic gateways

Hello. I'm glad this list is finally back up. Good job whoever is is responsible. I wanted to ask this question months ago because it would save a fair amount of work. But I'm still curious about implementing this idea:

All replies will be routed back through the same host they entered from, instead of the default gateway. This is the similar to the idea described in the LARTC HOWTO section 4.2.1: Split access. The HOWTO describes automatically associating the source address of incoming packets with the gateway they entered in and using those associations for replies. The difference is that instead of the gateways being statically defined, whenever a packet is received the previous hop is added as a gateway. It would also have to be connection-oriented, not address-oriented.

So what are people's ideas on this? I couldn't find it being done before, but it seems to only make sense. It's just something I was thinking over to help ease the administration of the situation with multiple gateways. It would become basically config-less if this was all dynamic.

- Devin Bayer