Re: need help on multiple isp routing

On Monday 2005-October-03 09:37, Anonymous wrote:
> configure is how to make those 2 links to use their own DNS servers,

Why?

> as ISP's1 servers do not answer queries from ISP's2 ip address and

So? They're answering queries from your ISP1 address, no? Is this a
problem?

> vise versa. i run BIND (as caching and also for my local zone) on my
> router configured to forward requests to ISP's1 DNS servers. i really
> don't want to run 2 copies of BIND with forwarders of ISP2 as the
> only difference in configuration. would anybody come up with a more
> elegant solution on that issue? i'm sure it is not nice to specify

Just don't use forwarders at all. wget the latest root hints file or
just use what you have, for "type hints" for the "." zone.

Forwarding is rarely a good idea. It gains you nothing. You won't
increase the load on the root servers.

> both ISP's servers as forwarders for a single server as the server
> itself uses default gateway of ISP1.

So this is not a problem, but still, forwarders are not helping you.

> and then about services
> installed on a router machine itself - ftp, www. they do not seem to
> listen on ISP's2 ip. any solution besides configuring virtual
> servers?

I prefer Julian's approach to dual gateway routing ... his routes patch
and the nano.txt HOWTO. That provides more of what people tend to want
from multiple ISP connections in a more transparent way. All services
use both links equally (or as weighted.)

I'm sure there are situations in which splitting traffic by service or
destination makes sense ... just not at my 3 dual-ISP sites.
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header