Re: Qos, HFSC and VoIP

Romary Sonrier wrote:
Hello, I'm using Linux kernel 2.6.x and tc (from iproute2 package).
I'm trying to use HTB or HFSC scheduler in order to limite the rate of outgoing packets and also in order to minimiez delay for RTP stream.
But I didn't suceed in having this 2 QoS services working.

I use Iptables in order to classify packets. Here is my HFSC  conf.
In fact the pings that i send from this box should be the most highly priorised packet, but there are delayed when i add load on the link (with a scp  upload).
What is strange is that the delay of thoses ping is not constant:
Does someone have an idea about this issue?

Try making the ul rates lower and see if that's it. The ping pattern could be because you are slightly over rate for ppp0, but when sfq perturbs (assuming perturb 10) the packet reordering makes the tcp back off enough for the queue to clear.

I know you only have sfq on ls - which is OK, but don't put sfq/prio on an rt or sc leaf as hfsc dequeues/requeues for these to see next packet length. In the case of sfq/prio it will/may not be that packet that gets dequeued.

I also notice your rates add up to > ul.

Andy.