Re: pfifo_fast as leaf qdisc for htb classes

panca sorin wrote:
Thank you Andy! I did't find why I could't use the fw
match in ingress. Now it works.

It will work on marks set in prerouting if you don't select packet action in your kernel config (near policer).

Now I ran into another problem:
When I try to add a pfifo_fast leaf qdisc dor htb
classes it seg.-faults. Is pfifo_fast a special qdisc?
I can succesfully add other type of qdiscs.

I found that a similar problem was reported in
february on a MIPS architecture.

Yes I think it's special - but the default behavior of prio is much the same.

root@zefir:/usr/src# tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle
1: htb default 10
root@zefir:/usr/src# tc class add dev eth0 parent 1:
classid 1:1 htb rate 100Mbit ceil 100Mbit burst 50k
cburst 150k

FWIW if you are shaping 100meg ethernet those settings would be too high I would use -

... rate 99mbit ceil 99mbit mpu 84 overhead 38 ...

I think htb and pfifo_fast assures a better QOS than
htb & sfq because I can priorize interactivity.

Thank you in advance for any sugestions.

Yes use prio if you are going to give one class for each user, you will still have to set the tos bits/classify yourself as you can't rely on apps/inbound having them set properly.

Also remember that if you are shaping inbound traffic you need to back off from the link rates more than outbound so that a queue can build up. If the link is slow then you'll need to keep the queues short aswell, so you drop packets.

Andy.