Latency of Linux Bridge

Hi there!

I am working a lot with VoIP in my company, so I thought to use linux bridge functionality together with tc to emulate delay, jitter, packet loss, duplication, reordering etc. for testing purposes in our lab against our VoIP products.
I just recognized, that a basic bridge just with it's minumum configuration of 2 network interfaces creates latency of approx. 5ms on very low traffic.
This seems to be independent on CPU speed. I tried on 2 GHz PC while having just 64kBit traffic with packet size of about 300bytes.
I am using Knoppix 3.82 which is actually a debian Live-CD Linux, Kernel 2.6.11.
For some reason they put iproute2 041019 on this distro, which is intended to be used for kernel 2.6.9.
I am aware of remastering the CD, but have to check if it is possible to recompile the kernel for the remaster.

back to my question: where does this latency come from?
"top" shows almost no load while the bridge is handling traffic, so how come?
is there some timer-granularity which can be set in the kernel, is the latency normal, or what could cause it else?

Thank you very much in advance!

/Christian