Re: Problems setting up nested qdisc, feedback to LARTC HOWTO

 || On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 14:46:24 -0400
 || Jody Shumaker <jody.shumaker@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 js> Have you tried not using classify but instead using tc filters?

Well, the tc filters are much more limited than iptables, they could
not replicate what I am doing with the iptables. That is why I tried
using the -j MARK iptables target to set a tc filter based on that.

 js> Maybe this is a limitation with iptables classify.  Try using
 js> your classify to put things into 20: and then use tc filters
 js> attached to 20: to split into the htb subclasses?

Interesting idea.

It is comforting that you have done something similar with success, so
I guess a combination of -j MARK and -j CLASSIFY targets might be able
to do that job, I will have to try this.

But having to employ such a mix seems like a cludge, shouldn't this
work properly with CLASSIFY, as well? Nothing in the documentation
says that it shouldn't -- and the docs are missing sufficiently
complex examples to get an idea of how others solved that problem.

It seems some problem exists, it is just not clear to me yet whether
this is a bug in the documentation or the software.

Regards,
Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve                                 <greve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>