Hello

I have 40Mbit/s internet uplink
Average transfer 25Mbit/s
- 3957 users
On machine:
- CPU 3.2GHz P4 +HT enabled
- 2GB RAM
- Intel GB cards

Machine is doing nat/dnat for each user so there is 3957 DNAT/SNAT ip pairs (private to public and vice versa)

Machine load is 0.1 avg

And no any problems :)

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:24:00 +0200 Peter Surda <surda@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>If you don't want to adapt, once upon a time I wrote a management tool for an
>ISP with requirements similar to yours. Although I tuned it for performance and
>it seems to work well, as far as I know there are only a couple of dozen users,
>I don't know how it would behave if it was used with several hunderd users.
Update: I obtained some data from the mentioned ISP:
- Backbone: 16Mbit
- average transfer 700kB/s (5600kbit/s)
- about 20 users
- CPU Celeron 333
- no performance problems noticeable

The only unanswered question remains the user count (20 vs 400 is not really
comparable).

Yours sincerely,
Peter