RE: Simple traffic shaping

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, ICI Support wrote:

http://members.cox.net/laitcg/slack1.html

Go to the bottom about throttling the bandwidth of a single host.

If you just want the daemon itself to be throttled (IE, just the mail
traffic) someone else with a bigger clue than me will have to help you.

-Michael

Thanks for replay. As you suggested I tried to modify the script for my needs. I finally have this:

#!/bin/bash

# Slow down one ip address on internal network
# If you changed anything and want to reload the script, execute
# /etc/rc.d/rc.throttle stop
# to clean up your existing configuration.
# Place IP address to be throttled in TIP
TIP="192.168.1.25"
# Place device to internal network here
DEV="eth0"
if [ "$1" = "stop" ]; then

     echo "Removing Throttle"
     tc qdisc del dev $DEV root

else # assume $1 = start:

     echo "Throttling $TIP"
     tc qdisc add dev $DEV root handle 1: cbq avpkt 1000 bandwidth 100mbit
     tc class add dev $DEV parent 1: classid 1:1 cbq rate 2512kbit allot
1500 prio 5 bounded isolated
     tc filter add dev $DEV parent 1: protocol ip prio 16 u32 match ip src
$TIP flowid 1:1
     tc qdisc add dev $DEV parent 1:1 sfq perturb 10

fi

Have done some test using scp from other internal box.
Before starting the tc rules I have UP/DL to the smtp server at 8-10MB/s
After activation of rules I have DL to about 270KB/s (as aspected),
UP to 550-600KB. ??? Why UPload is affected?

Any optimization?

TIA, Barbara