Re: wonder-shaper

chino wrote:

> Hi all,
> I need to provide shell hosting for about 40 users, and few
> days ago I found the wondershaper script, so Im trying to
> know if this script could help me to improve interactive ssh/telnet
> connections.
>
> Wondershaper could help me or its only efective on OUTGOINGS requests?
>
> Ok, any comment and feedback will be welcome.
> Sorry for my bad english and THANKS in advance.

What bad English?

Wondershaper does not work all that well because the sums of the rates and
ceilings exceeds the root rate.  You would do better to look at routehat
(Which I think I spelled wrong), which uses WRR (Weighted Round Robin).

Wondershaper is an excellent learning tool.  By shaping OUTGOING, you can
improve incoming, but Wondershaper drops the incoming in excess of the given
rate so it is self defeating for improving download speed.  If I remember
right, it also incorrectly handles ACK packets.

Read these:
http://digriz.org.uk/
http://mrtg.saintjoe.edu/mrtg/ratelimit/pacemaker/
http://www.freenet.org.nz/python/pyshaper/