Re: P2P shaping working

Edgar wrote:

> Hello, it's me again, finally p2p traffic is getting shaped, but now I still
> have one problem: download seems to be affected when shaping the traffic, ack
> packets are in the interactive queue too, as someone adviced me, what fixed
> the problem was to change the rates, to match (the sum of all subclasses) the
> root class rate, and to give the p2p class a very low rate (1k actually) and
> 75% of the bandwidth for the ceiling. Well as I said this is working, but
> downloading seems to be affected to, I get pretty low rates (this doesn't
> happen when I'm not shaping the traffic, but then I can't do anything else
> but bittorrent). Does anyone have a clue on why's this happening?
>
> Thanks to everyone that help me, I really appreciate it.
>
> EDGAR MERINO

Guess 1:  You are not giving the ACK to the downloaded packet priority so it
gets delayed.
Guess 2:  You are dropping incoming packets, causing resends.
Guess 3:  The outbound queue(s) are full so the ACK can't be sent "NOW,
DAMNIT"!
Guess 4:  You have not tweaked /etc/sysctl.conf and run sysctl, so the
internal buffers are too small.
Guess 5:  Your CPU is overloaded by the queuing.
Guess 6:  Your IMQ is misconfigured.

AFAIC, ACK and window size are the most important issues.  You must prioritize
the ACKs not associated with file sharing and delay the hell out of those that
are associated with file sharing.
--
gypsy