Re: Server and router on the same box

On Thursday 07 July 2005 10:51, o7sh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> The main problem is that LAN clients connect to other web-servers on the
> Internet via this box. in fact, any  Internet traffic they consume, even
> if they downloading, affect the upstream available for the web-server.

Oh, I'm sorry, I seem to have misunderstood. I thought the LAN clients were
downloading from your web server, causing too much load for it. You were
talking about Internet traffic, so that's a completely different story.

To make upstream fully available to your webserver, I suggest using a PRIO
qdisc with 2 bands... band one for webserver traffic, band two for
everything else.

The PRIO qdisc will make sure that your webserver always gets to send his
packets first. LAN traffic will only be allowed to send when the webserver
sent all his packets.

However, this means that your LAN will get effectively zero bandwidth as
long as the webserver is working (someone downloading from it). If this is
too harsh for you, use HTB instead - there you can specify whatever
balance between web server and LAN traffic you wish (50-50 or 75-25).

HTH
Andreas