Re: HTB: shaping internet bandwidth but don't shape local network traffic

On Thursday 30 June 2005 19:26, Jefri Lie wrote:
> i got this problem, i want to shape my clients internet bw, but i
> don't want to shape my local network traffic. For information, my
> clients using wireless to connect to my router[192.168.1.254].

Common mistake is to use the internet class as root class on the LAN
interface, which means everything (local traffic and internet traffic)
gets shaped to internet class speed.

I solved it like this:

HTB Qdisc

\--- HTB root class (10MBit)

     \--- HTB internet class (1Mbit)
     |    |
     |    \--- ... more classes for internet shaping ...

     \--- HTB lan class (10-1=9Mbit)

This would be an example setup for a 10Mbit ethernet card, with a 1MBit
internet connection, and local connections get what's left. You put your
internet traffic into the internet class (or one of it's children), and
everything else (local traffic) into the lan class.

HTH
Andreas