urgent TEQL problem

OK, I spammed the mailing list recently, but I will be fired if I can't
solve the problem today. (just kidding, but I did waste lots of time on
it  :(  )

The common configuration for teql is for two computers connected
directly with two links. My topology is a little different: one link is
connected directly, but the other is connected through a gateway. My
problem is teql can't send packets through both links at the same time.
When I don't configure a gateway for teql0 in the routing table, all
packets go to the direct link; when I do add the gateway, all packets go
to the link with the gateway.

It seems to me that the problem is that when packets are forwarded by
the teql0 interface to each local Ethernet cards, the routing is still
based on the routing entry for the teql0 IP address in the routing
table, instead of being based on the IP of the local Ethernet interface
that packets are passed to. Since I can't both specify the gateway
address and not specify at the same time, there is only one link that
teql finds working and pass packets to at each time. In the common case
when both links are directly connected, there is no such problem (I
tried two directed links, and teql just works). Am I correct? Is there
any way to solve the problem, besides changing the gateway to a bridge?
(If it's not true, there must be something wrong with my routing tables.
One thing that I am not sure if it's OK is that I put teql0 and eth1
into the same subnet.)

Thanks a lot!

-Ji