Help? Router/Bandwidth throttle needed.

I hope this list is still active.  I'm an experienced Linux Sysadmin, but I
haven't done much in the way of routing.  Due to a decision made by my
higherups, I need to jam a computer between my ISP and my LAN to do
bandwidth throttling.

My current setup:

1 Crappy Cable Modem (7Mb/768Kb connection) with a static IP.
4 servers (all have static, routable IPs) - One of which is running NAT/DHCP
(2 NICs) for 6 workstations (All using DHCP)

I have 1 spare routable IP.

My current setup has the cable modem plugged directly into my LAN.  But it
ends up this modem doesn't do intelligent traffic/bandwidth management.   I
need a way to throttle and poll usage through the modem such that neither
uploads nor downloads will ever use the full capacity (and thus dominate the
router).

Currently, the best I can do, is to throttle some of those 4 servers, but
that doesn't help me with the workstations.   So I figured I'd need to jam a
machine between the modem and the LAN to work as a 'gatekeeper' to control
the bidirectional traffic (and I could use it for a firewall too).

Can someone help me on how I need to set this up?  I have a spare box I
could easily put two NICs into, if needed, to make it the gatekeeper.

-----

Michael Yacht
CTO
Ideal Conditions, Inc.