Re: Re: LARTC Digest, Vol 4, Issue 9

Radu CUGUT schrieb:
Daniel Lopes wrote:

Ping a client you surely know should be connected to the switch. ARP
will take the part to find out the hardware address so the packet can be
delivered. If the switch is on it should find a hardware address and ARP
should put it in your ARP cache. It´s independet from ICMP blocks and
similar. So after trying to ping you should have an entry in your ARP
table which you can control with "arp" command.

It seems that I didn't make myself quite clear ...

I want to know if there is a way to find out if a switch is working ok or not.

It seems you can´t read. To ping someone you exactly know is connected to the switch is the easiest way to get an arp cache entry. If you don´t get an entry the switch is not working or the other one is blocking arp what shouldn´t happen because he wouldn´t be able to receive any packets. Just try what I said. Blocking protocols like ICMP doesn´t have an impact on the work of arp respectively ethernet. Exactly spoken no impact of getting the hardware address.