how can I monitor a (dumb) switch ?

Hello there,

Can anyone help me with a problem i have....

I have an ethernet LAN, made over dumb fast-ethernet switches
(10/100mbit) without management, so there is no IP for the switches.

What I want, if possible, is to find out if a switch is down or not.

It's like with routers... if you want to find out if a router is OK,
either you send ICMP directly to the router, or to a host "behind" the
router.

Is there any device, or ANY OTHER possibility that I can find out if a
switch is unplugged or broken.  Users on my LAN aren't reliable (they
have firewalls, closed computers, etc.), so pinging users that are
linked to a switch to find out is out of the question.

I have got an ideea that if I take an ehernet card, and somehow manage
to put power in it, than I would have a device with MAC addres to
arping ... is this correct ?

MANY thanks in advance, and SORRY for being a bit out of topic.

Best regards,
Radu.

--

Radu Cugut