Re: Terrible problem, some men in my net changed their MACs! :/

On Tue, 31 May 2005 13:36:25 +0200 (CEST) "Sylvain BERTRAND"
<sylvain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hi all,
hi

>I highly suggest you use arpwatch. It's a daemon that monitors MAC/IP on a
>network, and can notify the administrator when something changes.
arpwatch can only find out if the user changes his/her IP. If they change their
MAC (and fake someone elses), you're out of luck :-(.

>If you want to force the MAC for an IP, use "arp -f /etc/ethers" (man arp).
>Iptables does the same thing with MAC matching, but using arp with a fixed
>table is "the proper thing to do" (tm).
[advertisement+joke]
Actually, "the proper thing to do" is to use ipset + macipmap, just like Route
Hat does ;-)
[/advertisement+joke]

>Sylvain
Yours sincerely,