Re: htb: HowTo identify squid cache hits

I haven't tried this myself, but I see l7filter (l7-filter.sf.net) has patterns for matching cache hits and misses... This may just work for your application?

-justin

Peter Kaagman wrote:
Hi list...

I work for a school in the netherlands with a 2mbit Internet uplink and
about 3800 eager student who want to play games on the Internet using
one of our 800 workstations.

Problem was that those game playing students are concentrated in 2 of
our 6 physical locations... and they consumed the bandwidth which the
other location would like to use for educational purposes.

The thing we did first was use squid... with success. The hit ratio on
data transfer is 25-30%... "free" bandwidth.

Today I took the plunge and started to use HTB traffic shaping... and
(to my surprise) I got it going without much troubles.

The setup I have chosen first divides the load over two classes:
- one for Internet rate 2mbit and a 2mbit ceil
- a second for our DMZ rate 98mbit and a 100mbit ceil

Next I sub-classed the Internet bucket into 6 classes each with a
333kbit rate and a 2mbit ceil.

This has had the effect that my DMZ can be accessed at full speed while
they fairly share the Internet uplink.

And the way it looks now it works :D
Hail to all those people who wrote those fine docs _o_

This is enough reason to address this list... just to say "Thank you!",
but there is more.

At the moment I do not max out my Internet link... reason for this is I
guess the squid proxy...
The way it works now is that I have 2 types of filters in effect:
- The DMZ: all packages with a src ip from my DMZ go to the big 98/100
  bucket.
- The Internet: all packages with a dst ip in one of our 6 networks
  gets placed in one of the 6 333/2000 buckets.

But there is of course a src of packages I do not catch this way... and
these are the squid cache hits. Because I filter on destination the cache
hits get treated the same as cache misses. But cache hits are in effect
local traffic... they do not originate from the Internet.

So here (finally) the question..
Is there a way to identify cache hits from misses?

I took a look at the advanced filtering chapter of course, but am
really dazzled by that (and I thought I understood TCP/IP a bit ;)).

Some further info that would perhaps help is that squid is run as a
transparant proxy on the router/firewall.

regards

Peter Kaagman