Off topic question - Newbie

Hi Guys,

Apologies for the off topic question here.

I have been trying to find out if its possible to zero the counters in the ifconfig listing per interface on a linux box. I have read that this can only be done if you pull down the interface, unload the driver and reload.

Can I make a request to someone either writing the kernel or maybe its the driver developers for the lan cards to make this available for debugging purposes. I find it frustrating when I am trying to monitor collisions/errors etc from the command line on remote systems without interfering with the interface.

I guess my question is who should I ask (wish list) for this. Kernel developers or the driver writers for the associated lan card?

BTW: I have been following the Skype pattern threads and will be testing shortly once my collegue gets an iptables built and working.

Gary