Re: tc/htb QoS script

Ulrich Pöschl wrote:
hello folks,

this is my first post to that list. so I hope I am not completely OT here :-)

reading the (excellent!) lartc and then writing my own qos-script I have still some open questions which I will try to formulate now:

- "Now we can optionally attach queuing disciplines to the leaf classes. If none is specified the default is pfifo." - I can't find info about Pfifo. is it the same as pfifo_fast?
what happenes when I do not add queuing disciplines to the leaf classes? only the filters?

pfifo = packet fifo it's just a first in first out not as clever as pfifo fast. If you don't add a queue to a leaf you get a long pfifo - limit set by htb rather than you.

- can a class burst above the ceil-parameter when there is NO other traffic on the line at that moment?

You can specify burst and cburst for htb in your scipt if you want - if you don't htb chooses them for you from rate/ceil.

See them with tc -s -d class ls devX.

- what happens when a packet passing trough the filters can be matched by two filters? f.e. I have a "general" type of WWW-port 80 filter and another WWW-port 80 filter to a certain subnet. is it like a cisco ACL? the first hit is applied?

Yes use prio to order filters and remember 1 is highest not 0.

- is hardware a criteria? i want to shape a pretty full 2048/2048 line and use an old server with 2 NICs at the moment. 128 MB ram, but gnome running.. :) could I create a bottleneck by doing so?

Probably be OK as long as you don't have thousands of tests per packet.

- question concerning the script (below):
it is quite simple. I want to filter any traffic going to an "SAP" subnet. (where we have the SAP-system) and WWW as well as email
i apply it to interface eth0 and eth1 (which are part of an ethernet bridge br0).
as there are all servers on one side of the bridge and I want it to be "plug and play"-like I apply the same script to both interfaces.

The setup is like this:
[Manchester] (~250 Clients) ---> Transparent QoS-Bridge ----> ROUTER -------- FR WAN 2 Mbit ------> [AT/Vienna] (Mailserver, Proxy, SAP)

- and: will my script work as expected with that setup? :)

thanks in advance and kind regards,

Ulrich

#!/bin/sh # ############ Configuration part ############## DEVICE=$1 # interface (eth0 / eth1)

Bandwidth=2048kbit # rate of WAN - line / remember you can't ceil this or you'll experience latency. 75-80% of ceil is a good place to start.

Your rates and ceils seem to ignore this comment :-)

Remember rates are guaranteed prio only affects sharing of what's spare.

Rest looks OK but I often miss things - test, test, test is the best way.

Andy.