Re: Bridging three vlans

Taylor, Grant wrote:

Ed, can we get more information as to what devices on your network have what IP, your VLAN config, your bridge config, you IPTables(-save) config?

I need some more data to stare at to try to find a problem in this mix.

It's a wrt54G, so the 5 ports on the back are really a hub plus a single net interface. However, the driver has the capability to tag and create multiple vlans from any group of ports

So the end result is that if I create three vlans on the same effective net interface then routing stops working properly until I turn on STP (even if the bridge doesn't use all three vlans). If I make the bridge use all three vlans (each vlan without a real IP or netmask) then routing stops working completely even with STP enabled.

Is the limitation because of the multiple vlans on a single real net interface? Of course since the vlans are driver implemented there could be other problems arising, so simply stating whether it ought to work or not would be good at this stage...

Software is "openwrt" which is a hacked 2.4 kernel for arm, and a number of pre-applied patches. I would have to dig a little to remind myself of exactly what patches are applied, but basically stuff like the bridge firewalling stuff I think.

I'm testing by plugging real machines into the lan, wan and DMZ vlans and seeing if they can see each other...

Any suggestions?

Ed