HTB on large LAN

Hello,

we are using HTB on the router for dividing 15 Mb/s upload rate to 1022 classes (rate 14 kb/s, ceil 15 Mb/s), but sometimes ksoftirqd_CPU0 uses the most of the CPU-time (over 90% CPU load is casual in such situation). This situation occurs several times a week and takes minutes or one hour and during that time it has enormous packet loss. Reboot of the machine usually solves this problem.

Because big differencess between rates of the rate classes (from Mbits of upper classes to kbits of lower classes of one of the upper classes), I can't find optimal r2q value - I always find in /var/log/messages, that quantum is too big (for r2q = 1) or too small (default r2q = 10), but I am not sure, if this is related to the bad behaviour of ksoftirqd_CPU0 process.

Has somebody similar experiences or some tips for us?

What shaper do you suggest for us for such case? Is HTB suitable for this case?

Or can somebody provide another solution how to effectively and fairly divide bandwith between users. SFQ is not quite good, because it divides between connections, not between addresses, if I am right. ESFQ could be solution, but we will need not only fairness, but also possibility to regulate particular user speeds to different values (dependent on transferred data), so I afraid, that ESFQ won't be final solution for us.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

--
Jan Ostrochovsky
technicky spravca IIKS