Re: IMQ: why do I need IMQ ?

On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 07:14:22PM +0300, Radu CUGUT wrote:
> Hello there,
hi

> Can someone please explain why do one neeed IMQ ?
- if you want to shape incoming traffic
- if you want to bundle devices

> I can already shape incoming traffic on my nat router by creating qdiscs on
> LAN-side interface. I have done some tests, whith simple bandwidth
> limmiting, and it works.
It doesn't manage traffic caused by the router itself. If you can avoid this
though, you're right, just make sure you filter router's traffic on the LAN
side too.

Even a router without much functionality often provides DNS proxy, ssh or
http(s) access, which is already its own traffic and IMQ helps in that case.

> I've read just about all the stuff on www.linuximq.net ... but couldn't make
> myself an ideea on why would someone need IMQ for ingress policing ...
Because shaping is more than policing ;-)

> Radu Cugut
Bye,

Peter Surda (Shurdeek) <shurdeek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, ICQ 10236103, +436505122023

--