MARK vs CLASSIFY with tc

Hello list,

I just wonder if someone did any performance tests (speed of processing the
packets) or maybe could advise about this two scenario:

1. packets are marked with iptables and processed by tc using filters
2. packets are sent by iptables directly to tc using CLASSIFY chain, thus
avoiding the tc filters

I had some thinking about these two ways of dealing with egress traffic and my
logic says that the second should be faster to process the packets, but I
might be wrong (I guess that being an iproute list there will be a lot of
people in favour of the first - going even further by skipping iptables all
together and using detailed filtering with tc).

This came up not just for fun nor that I saw some noticeable differences (not
with the volume of traffic I'm having at the moment). I want to regulate the
traffic from a multimedia server (RTSP) and everybody knows that audio/video
traffic is very sensitive to variable latency and jitter with terrible
end-user experience.

BTW I'm using HTB with SFQ, kernel 2.6.11.6, iproute2 ss050318 and iptables
1.3.1. I used PFIFO before SFQ, but it seems that it takes quite a lot for
the per stream bandwidth to be re-adjusted in case a new session opens and
I'm already at the limit with the allocated slice from the total available
pipe.

Thanks for taking your time thinking about this,
Adrian