Re: new perflow rate control queue

Hi Andy Furniss,

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 23:40:54 +0100, Andy Furniss <andy.furniss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Looking forward to your feedback :)
>
> It works OK for me - though I would really need it to be variable rate
> to use really - but as you say it's designed for your needs.
>
> I noticed that it drops icmp so you need to be careful about what you
> send to it.

I plan to optionally reclassify unhandled traffic to another class if specified.
So a default class may handle it.

> If you limit connections and use them all up then alive but not always
> active connections will get locked out - there is a netfilter connection
> limit already.
>
> As you say above it's not always fair - I didn't test that much it
> seemed OK apart from if htb limited it ie.
>
> htb rate higher than sum of rates but less than sum of ceils made it
> unfair to a flow with smaller packet size.

Yes. I also think that low rate or small packet size stream will have problem.
I didn't test that case yet.

I read back your post and I think the best solution for you is use HTB +
PRIO.

Let interactive but low rate traffic have highest priority, and let bulk
transfer have lowest priority and constrain them using HTB.

TCP itself has some fairness: slower stream get faster, and faster
stream get slower. The sliding window is for this.

--
  lark