Re: simple routing protocol for VPN redundancy?

I'm going to start a load balancing & failover VPN over multiple providers. It means we can not just have high availability tunnel but also utilize the bandwidth of all providers. It'll be a part of newly started linux multihoming project

Is there any developer interested to join ?

Simon Chang wrote:
Hello all,

I need a very simple routing protocol for VPN redundancy.

We have several sites and each site has a Linux router and two IPCops each with an ADSL connection to the internet using different ISP's.

I have configured VPN's between all of the sites for each IPcop on ispA and the same for the IPCops on ispB. This way, if one of the ISP fails, I change the route on the router and my VPN's continue to function over the other ISP.

This is a very simple saftey but it works well and its pretty cheep. But I'm getting sick of changing the routes by hand and wonder if there is any way of automating the failover.

What I was thinking of is maybe a script/utility that I could configure to ping a host on a remote lan and if I started to loose to many packets or it got too slow or failed it would change the route automatically.

Has any one ever written a script or know of a utility that can do that?

Cheers Simon.