Re: new perflow rate control queue

Wang Jian wrote:

This per flow control is good when used for VoIP (Voice and Video).

Ahh yes - your needs are totally different to mine - with low bandwidth I just have to seperate interactive from bulk and use sfq for bulk only as if queuing interactive would mean I have run out of bandwidth anyway.

Let me explain the idea more clear.

For example, you may have 50 streams. These stream can work perfectly at
10kbps - 15kbps.

With HTB + SFQ, you should give 50*15 guaranteed. but then, if only one
stream is using this, it can use up to 50*15 guaranteed. You have risk
of waste 49*15 on it.

In another hand, if your have more than 50 streams, say, 80 streams.
With perfect fairness, every stream can get less than 10kbps. The
quality is not met however, no one is satisfied with fairness.

So, you have risk of waste and still you don't have guarantee.

With per flow rate control, you can give a guaranteed 12*65, and set per
flow control to rate=12,ceil=15,limit=60. When you have only a few
streams, you don't worry that you waste bandwidth. If more than 60
streams occurs, the first 60 streams still works fine.

Fairness is good, but sometimes, fairness means everyone hurts. If you
have more than enough bandwidth, you can use fairness to get good QoS.
But it is not the case when bandwidth is not so enough.

I can see now why you do it this way.

BTW: Are there any good document for HFSC? I don't even know how it works :( Maybe it's can be used to achieve per flow control.

No not really many docs and you can't really do per flow as such - more per user/class.

I haven't played with it enough yet, but the strength is being able to seperate interactive from bulk and still limit per user/class , without making each users interactive wait for other users bulk - at slow rates the bitrate latency of single packets can add up enough to messup interactive.

Because this per-flow queue is new, you can add things useful to it.

It does look good :-) I'll test when I get time.

Andy.