Re: syn flood protection - inside initiated attacks

IMO, you have to --limit for each of the computer separately (1 chain for each IP address), otherwise you will block both the instruder and the legitimate users.

Perhaps the better solution is to install an IDS and completely block instruder, wait until he/she contacts you and ask for worm removal before removing the blockage.

Ming-Ching Tiew wrote:

Perhaps someone will help me on this :-

I have read a lot of examples of syn flood protect on the INPUT chain.
That I have no question at all.

I wonder if it make sense to perform syn flood protection
at the FORWARD chain ? If packets are originated from a
LAN worm, and are not targetted at the firewall itself, but rather at hosts in the internet, will it cause problem with
the firewall itself, such as iptables connection table full etc ?

I tried to do it, to be specific, I tried this :-

        iptables -N lan-syn-flood
        iptables -A lan-syn-flood -m limit --limit 1/s --limit-burst 4  -j RETURN
        iptables -A lan-syn-flood -j DROP

Hook it to FORWARD chain,

        iptables -I FORWARD -p tcp --syn -j lan-syn-flood

But this will result in denial of service of a lot of "legitimate" traffic.
I try to increate the limits to bigger values it still does not work,
primarily my firewall is also doubling as a router across subnet
and there are a lot of traffic.

Any advise or comments ?