Re: P2P

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 03:09:58PM -0500, Hugo Martinez wrote:
> Im getting into tc. How can I control P2P (peer to peer) traffic???
> which filters??? any ideas???

I ended up with a combination of ipp2p and l7-filter, since they each
seemed to pick up stuff the other missed. I used them to jump to
connmark, and protected them in front with a connmark check so they
didn't waste time checking connections I already knew were P2P.

And then anything with connmark went to an IMQ, which I was able to
rate-shape depending on time of day.

I however found that I ran out of memory, and had to turn down the aging
of the conntrack list, on the theory that P2P traffic doesn't spend a
lot of time completely idle, being more inclined to short-lived but
active connections.

I did this on Debian Sarge, and it required kernel rebuilding, _and_ a
rebuild of the iptables package. I can post up the patches I used, if
you like. I haven't updated it in a fair while, so there's a reasonable
chance it's an older version of either ipp2p or l7-filter, or the IMQ
patch.

--
Paul "TBBle" Hampson, on an alternate email client.