Re: TCP window based shaping

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 11:49:39PM +0000, Ed Wildgoose wrote:
> Does anyone have any pointers on how other people have implemented tcp
> window adjustment to do bandwidth shaping?
>
> Granted the basic idea is to set the window size to be RTT * bandwidth,
> but a quick squiz at google turns up mostly papers on how to implement
> this at the sender end with a view to some new magic TCP
> implementation.  I'm really interested in notes on how to implement at
> the router side, perhaps with a view to writing a new QOS module.
>
> Biggest issue I can see right now is an architecture one, ie monitoring
> the incoming packet rate and then applying that to the outgoing ACK
> packets.

instead of shaping the incoming traffic and estimate rate from the
outgoing traffic, you can 'delay' the outgoing ACK, and estimate the rate
from the raise of the sequence number.

so you just shape on the outgoing queue, without take care of the
incoming traffic.

note that everything here is patented, so if you must have lawyers, if
you want to develop..

:-/

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=0&f=S&l=50&TERM1=packeteer&FIELD1=&co1=AND&TERM2=&FIELD2=&d=ptxt

--