Basic iproute configuration questions

I've managed to get myself confused with what is probably quite simple so if there's any definitive documentation then please give me pointers. I've read and tried the nano.txt document, that's what I've based my current setup on and it isn't working at the moment.

I have two external links, a DSL link on eth1 and a cable link on eth2. Both acquire their addresses via DHCP. The local network lives on eth0 and has a static IP. The local network uses NAT to the outside world.

I need to be able to load balance between the two external links for general outgoing traffic, force all outbound smtp traffic via eth1 and be able to handle inbound traffic to various servers (IMAP, web, SMTP, etc) on either link. My starting point is an old Pentium-2 box with three network cards, running a fully-patched version of FC2 (kernel 2.6.10-1.12_FC2).

I had an old version that sort of worked on RH7.3 but it didn't do load balancing (in those days the DSL link was an ISDN link so it wasn't important) and handling inbound stuff was a crude hack[*] that I'm sure isn't the best way to do things.

So, what do I need to do? Am I missing a required kernel patch or should the stock kernel be capable of what I want? Argh!

Dave