Re: can't understand strange PRIO behaviour

On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 04:50 +0100, Andreas Klauer wrote:
[...]
> I don't know if it is a bug or whatever, but PRIO doesn't like alien
> filters. You may only put traffic into a class of the qdisc you attached
> the filter to. At least this is how it works on my machine (2.4 kernel).

Thanks a lot for this help! It's exactly as you described it, and your
rules work fine.

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 22:16 -0500, Jason Boxman wrote:
[...]
> Could you perhaps replace your root prio with a classful tbf from recent
> kernel?

It would certainly be better. However, I want a strict hierarchy, so
that first PRIO is always served before the second one. Probably I'll
have to use CBQ instead of HTB or TBF, as after reading the howto, it
seems to me you can only there add priorities for the subclasses.

Some little suggestions for the howto:

(1) Maybe one could include Andreas' sentence to the PRIO section:
"You may only put traffic into a class of the qdisc you attached the
filter to." One could add that subclasses are not possible in PRIO (this
is quite evident, but some newbies could think of it ;-)

(2) The third filter command ("catch-all") in section 9.6.1

# tc filter add dev eth0 protocol ip parent 10: prio 2 flowid 10:2

does not work as it doesn't use a filter. One has to use something like

# tc filter add dev eth0 protocol ip parent 10: prio 2 u32 match ip src
0.0.0.0/0 flowid 10:2

instead.

Thanks a lot!
Viktor.

P.S. Is there a German translation going on?