Re: simple questions about imq

Hi!

Andy Furniss wrote:
 Can i put these rules to the POSTROUTING chain?

And i can still have my CLASSIFY targets in the POSTROUTING chain, because IMQ queing will happen after it according to http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.imq.html.
So for example:
$IPTABLES -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o $eth2 ... -j CLASSIFY --set-class 1:30
$IPTABLES -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o $eth3 ... -j CLASSIFY --set-class 1:30
$IPTABLES -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o $eth2 ... -j RETURN
$IPTABLES -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o $eth3 ... -j RETURN

If i managed to do this, i promise, i will document it to the imq wiki.

Any advice/help is appreciated!

You need to jump to imq in postrouting, classify should be done first ok try and see.

Ok will try it.

If you only want to shape forwarded traffic you could mark/classify using -i and -o in forward and then match on mark/class and -j IMQ in postrouting, it will only really matter if you have shaper to lan traffic you want to exclude from imq.

I don't see why you are classifying to the same class or need return. If you have two seperate internet links you still need two nonsharing queues added to the imq device.

Yes, i have two non-sharing queues(*) now, too. I mark the packets in PREROUTING, so i can classify them to the appropiate queue in postrouting.

The rules up there are just examples.

I need RETURN, because i have overlapping rules, so packets would be classified twice (the second classify will be the valid, isn't it?).
Like:
$IPTABLES -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o $INTERNAL_INTERFACE -p tcp --syn -m length --length 40:68 -j CLASSIFY --set-class 1:9
$IPTABLES -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o $INTERNAL_INTERFACE -p tcp --syn -m length --length 40:68 -j RETURN
$IPTABLES -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o $INTERNAL_INTERFACE -p tcp --dport 22 -j CLASSIFY --set-class 1:10
$IPTABLES -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o $INTERNAL_INTERFACE -p tcp --dport 22 -j RETURN

Is this a stupid way to do this? I get this from the LARTC howto :)
http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.cookbook.fullnat.intro.html
"We have done a -j RETURN so packets don't traverse all rules"

Thanks, for the clarifying!

--
Udv,
  Nandor

* If anyone is curious:

HTB main 5000+120+250kbps
 --- Child1 5000kbps for the DMZ
 --- Child2 120kbps first internet line
 --- Child3 250 kbps second internet line