Re: load balancing between two default gateways

<snip>
> Now what I want may be "shapping" to route 70% traffic via 2Mb and
> 30  via 1Mb.
> Is this possible via iproute2? if yes I will greatly appreciate if
> someone helps newbie to iproute2 :)

You can read the multipath routing section on lartc.org - Click on
"Dive in" :)
</snip>

I've been running load balancing between my cable modem and dsl. It works
pretty well actually. Here's a link to the script I use:

http://www.burnpc.com/website.nsf/all/FE5F4F294F508EB786256E600019BC30

I also use the load balancer to do NAT between the subnet of the cable
modem, subnet of DSL, and subnet my boxes are on. Also in there are some
static route rules in case you always want to use a particular connection
for certain traffic. In my case, my DSL modem is used for VPNs to work
(Linksys BEFVP41) so I always send traffic for those IPs out through the
appropriate NIC.

To try to achieve the 70 / 30 rule I recommend doing something like this to
the line
ip route add default table 222 proto static nexthop via $GWE1 dev $IFE1
weight 1 nexthop via $GWE2 dev $IFE2 weight 1

ip route add default table 222 proto static nexthop via $GWE1 dev $IFE1
weight 7 nexthop via $GWE2 dev $IFE2 weight 3

I suggest reading up on the documentation to understand what those weight
parameters really do. In essence they add 7 routes via one interface, and 3
via the other. Then the load balancer round-robbins between them.

The easynews piece in there works in conjunction with Flashget. I set
flashget's multiproxy up, and it will create multiple threads over the two
ports. I'm able to download from easynews then at the total combined speed
of the connections ==== fast!!!

Let me know if you have any questions,
-Ron